Template Tools



Welcome to the Thief River Falls Times & Northern Watch Online. Limited news is available without a subscription to The Times. However, the entire paper is available online with an online subscription.


Another tennis sweep Print E-mail
Written by TRF Times   
Tuesday, 15 April 2014 11:48

Jorde Hutton of Thief River Falls returned this shot during the Prowlers’ 2014 boys high school tennis home opener Thursday – a double-dual that included Detroit Lakes and Crookston – on the Franklin Middle School courts.

Courthouse expansion considered Print E-mail
Written by Scott DCamp   
Tuesday, 15 April 2014 11:46

The long-term future of the City Auditorium and Old Arena have been in question since Pennington County obtained the buildings in January 2008 to gain control of an entire city block.
During their meeting on Tuesday, April 8, commissioners got their first look at conceptual plans that show the potential layout of a three-level addition to the courthouse.
Lead Architect Bruce Schwartzman, Mark Bradby and Bistu Rumicho of the BKV Group met with commissioners to discuss a pair of options to add on to the 70-year-old courthouse building.

Ice dancing gold for Amanda Print E-mail
Written by Scott DCamp   
Friday, 11 April 2014 04:46

Amanda Sturgeon, left, and her coach Lisa Semanko, show off Sturgeon’s gold medal jacket. Sturgeon received the jacket after she passed the final dance gold test in January.

Be a tourist in TRF Print E-mail
Written by TRF Times   
Tuesday, 15 April 2014 11:45

The Thief River Falls Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB) is offering a Thief River Falls Area Attractions Tour for all front-line staff at local hotels and gas stations during National Travel and Tourism Week. Those employees are often the first people that visitors see when they arrive in our community, and are regularly asked "What is there to do in Thief River Falls?" The CVB would like to give them the answer to that question by helping them discover all the fun things there are to do in their own backyard.

Leier, Joppru TRF co-MVP Print E-mail
Written by TRF Times   
Friday, 11 April 2014 04:49

Senior Jacob Leier and junior Jacob Joppru shared most valuable player honors when awards were presented during the Thief River Falls boys high school basketball banquet.
Leier was also presented with a Coaches Award and a captain’s plaque.
Joppru and senior Jorde Hutton were also given captain’s plaques.
Special recognition went to seniors Blair Panek, named the team’s defensive player of the year, and Nick Onkka, who was introduced as the team’s top free throw shooter.
Senior Turner Storm and junior Grant Stewart received Prowler Awards.
Players taking the most charges at each grade level were presented with Mr. Charge plaques. They were Panek, varsity; Skyler Peterson, junior varsity; and  Brady Hoffard, freshmen.
Thief River Falls went 20-7 this winter under second-year head coach Joe Wasfaret – the Prowlers’ third 20-win season in the past four years. They were 21-8 in 2010-11, 18-8 in 2011-12 and 20-8 a year ago.
A 13-game winning streak that put the Prowlers at 17-2 was part of the 2013-14 campaign that also produced a Northwest Russ Smith Holiday Classic title.
The season ended with a 61-55 Section 8AAA tournament quarterfinal loss to Albany in the Huskies’ gym.
Five seniors completed their high school basketball careers this winter: Leier, Onkka, Panek, Storm and Hutton.
Leier reached a milestone late in the season when he joined the 1,000-Point Club. His 1,059 points put the 6-2 guard No. 4 on the Prowlers’ all-time scoring list headed by Kyle Sanden with 1,564 points. Leier is the sixth player in Thief River Falls boys basketball history to go over the 1,000-point mark.

2013-14 TRF Results

  • November - def. Bemidji 70-52.
  • December - def. Warroad 91-40; def. Hawley 74-58; lost East Grand Forks 78-67; def. Bagley 78-24; lost Detroit Lakes 63-48; def. Crookston 67-48; (Northwest Russ Smith Holiday Classic) def. Kittson County Central 59-39; def. Red Lake 90-64; def. Northern Freeze 75-53.
  • January - def. Grand Rapids 69-57; def. Hermantown 81-66; def. Warroad 82-33; def. Sauk Rapids-Rice 62-51; def. Princeton 76-70; def. East Grand Forks 76-53; def. Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton 87-81 (2 ot).
  • February - def. Red Lake 92-74; def. Stephen-Argyle 77-43; lost Four Winds/Minnewaukan 60-54; lost Detroit Lakes 61-48; lost Crookston 76-64; lost Fergus Falls 72-63; def. Bemidji 84-47; def. Roseau 61-45; def. Northern Freeze, 69-56.
  • Section 8AAA - lost Albany 61-55.


Forecast For Thief River Falls, Minnesota
This feed will be redirected starting or shortly after March 15th of 2011
Mostly SunnyPartly SunnySlight Chance Rain/Snow, Probability Of Precipitation: 60%Partly Sunny, Probability Of Precipitation: 20%Partly Sunny, Probability Of Precipitation: 20%
Mostly Sunny
Hi 38°F - Lo 22°F
Partly Sunny
Hi 45°F - Lo 33°F
Slight Chance Rain/Snow
Hi 49°F - Lo 32°F
Partly Sunny
Hi 57°F - Lo 39°F
Partly Sunny
Hi 60°F - Lo 37°F
Current Conditions:
The most current observation is more than 15689 hours old, please try again later.
Weather data provided by the National Weather ServiceMore...